Almost 130,000 students come to Canada from abroad each year for study purpose. Most foreign nationals must apply for a study permit to study at a Canadian educational institution. A study permit, once issued, allows a foreign national to study in Canada at an approved institute for the duration of the specified course or program.
No requirements of study permit in Canada
- Course or Program is less than 6 months in duration
- Family member or staff of a foreign representative to Canada
- Member of a foreign armed force.
Requirement for Student
- Must have been accepted by a school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada;
- Must have required level of language proficiency in English or French;
- Obtain offer letter from college, university or educational institution in Canada.
- Must prove that you have enough money to pay for tuition fees, living expenses including family members; and return transportation including family members who come with applicant in Canada.
- Must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate.
- Must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary;
- Intend to leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay
A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) may also be required if the student is a citizen of a country from which Temporary Resident Visas are required for entry into Canada. A Temporary Resident Visa is not required for citizens of visa exempt countries.
Working in Canada as a Student
A student may be able to work in Canada under any CIC work program during the course of study under the following categories:
- On campus without a work permit;
- Off campus with a work permit;
- In Co-op and Internship programs, where work experience is part of the curriculum, with a work permit.
- In addition to this, spouses or common-law partners of foreign students are eligible for a work permit for the duration as the study permit.
- After completing graduation, a foreign student may apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation work permit program. Under this program, the work permit may be issued for the length of the study program, up to a maximum of three years.
- Foreign national may get extension or obtain new study permit for enrolling new program
- Foreign national may get extension for work permit upon approval from employer.
Estimation of Funds
- Single Student – CAD 10,000/Year Plus Tuition Fees (4,000-10,000 For 1 Academic Year)
- One Family Member/Spouse- CAD 4,000 (Additional)
- Each Family Member- CAD 3,000 (Additional)