Canadian citizens and permanent residents may bring their parents and grandparents to Canada through Family Class sponsorship or the Super Visa program.
Note: Ottawa, January 7, 2016—Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) received more than 14,000 new parent and grandparent applications since the program re-opened on January 4, 2016.
The Family Class sponsorship program includes a stream for parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents. Successful parents and grandparents under this program will receive Canadian permanent residence and may be able to apply for Canadian citizenship four years thereafter.
Sponsor requirements for Parents and Grandparents sponsorship:
- Must Be 18 years of age or older
- Must be a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident;
- Exceed the minimum necessary income level for this program. If married or in a common-law relationship, the income of both persons can be included;
- The sponsor and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits the sponsor to provide financial support for the sponsored relative, if necessary. This agreement also states that the person becoming a permanent resident will make every effort to support himself or herself. Dependent children under age 22 do not have to sign this agreement.
- Quebec residents must sign an “undertaking” with the province of Quebec —a contract binding the sponsorship; and
- The sponsor must promise to provide financial support for the sponsored relative for a period of 20 years. This time period begins on the date the sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident.
- Sponsors will have to prove that they meet the minimum income requirements by submitting notices of assessment issued by the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) in support of their sponsorship and they must also demonstrate they have met the minimum necessary income level for three consecutive years.
Sponsor restrictions for Parents and Grandparents sponsorship
- Not receiving social assistance for a reason other than disability
- Not in default of undertaking, immigration loan or debt, performance bond, support payment obligation or bankruptcy
- Not subject to a removal order
- Not convicted of a violent crime, an offence of sexual nature or result in bodily harm to a relative, or an attempt or threat to commit it
- Not detained in any penitentiary, jail, reformatory or prison.
Federal Income Table for Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship
|Size of Family Unit||Minimum Income
|More than 7 persons, each person add||$8,271||$8,148||$7,929|
**Parents/Grandparents have to count as family members and add to the total family members for calculating minimum fund requirement. Government benefits like child benefit, ODSP, OSAP or any other assistance will not count as family income.
** Parents/Grandparents could not apply for social assistance.